fv

No Photo Available

Dr. Edwin M. Mortenson *

      Dr. Edwin M. Mortenson was one of the founders of Christian Broadcasting in America . He began broadcasting in Columbus , South Carolina where he also served as the Chaplain at the state prison. Dr. Mortenson moved to Canton in 1946 and began broadcasting on WAND, WCMW and other stations across Ohio and Pennsylvania . In 1960, Mortenson began construction for a 50,000 watt FM station, WTOF 98.1. In 1969, he and his son, Jack, expanded their outreach with the addition of WHKK in the Cincinnati , Ohio area. He passed away in 1970. His son, Jack, and the Mortenson Broadcasting Company now own seven stations including WTOF FM and WHLO, Akron .